Friday, March 6, 2009

Amy's Risotto

Last night we had risotto for dinner. I absolutely love risotto. I found a recipe in Rachael Ray's Orange cookbook that I was planning on making - butternut squash risotto - but about 10 minutes before our friend arrived I found out that we didn't actually have the butternut squash for said risotto. So I improvised. And this is what I came up with. Make it. It is good.

Chop up a medium sized onion and a couple of garlic cloves. Saute them in olive oil over medium high heat for 5 or so minutes. Add 1 1/3 cups of arborio rice (whatever it's called. You know, risotto rice.) and saute for a minute or two. Add half a cup of white wine and cook for about a minute. Oh, while you're doing this have some chicken broth simmering on another burner. Then, once the wine cooks off, ladle in some chicken broth - about 3 or 4 ladles. Cook it down, stirring frequently. Repeat. Repeat again. Keep repeating until the rice isn't hard. Takes about 1/2 hour or so. Once the rice is cooked, turn off the burner, add in 3 handfuls of parmesan cheese, a can of artichoke hearts (drained and chopped), and a can of black olives (drained and chopped). Oh, and a splash of lemon juice. Let it sit up for a minute or two, then eat. It's good. Really, really good.

2 comments:

Lady said...

That sounds insanely good, but so much work! Can't I just show up at your house at dinnertime instead? ;)

Seriously.. my mouth is watering.

Amy Mae said...

It is good! It is so worth the work! Ed usually chops everything and I ladle and stir. Make it make it!!!