Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Wish me luck.

Lots of it. Henry had a hearing test yesterday, and it came back that the poor boy can't hear all that well. Boy do I feel like a crappy mom - I figured he heard fine, since he'd turn towards noise and all that. Yeah. Oops. Apparently, he has fluid behind his eardrums, so he hears like you do when you've been on an airplane and your ears haven't popped. Huh. No kidding. So I met with the ENT guy at AI duPont after the hearing test (yes, I LIVE at AI duPont, in case you were wondering), and he came in, asked if Henry's had a lot of ear infections (no), asked if he has a stuffy nose a lot (no), then said "I think you should get tubes put in his ears to drain the fluid. Here's what the surgery entails blah blah blah, here are the risks blah blah blah." Then he left. Oh wait, before he left he handed me a surgery consent form which almost sent me into a panic thinking that this guy thought he was going to operate on my baby NOW lol. If you know me, you know my feelings about doctors and medicine and all that, so I came home and called my cousin. My cousin is a naturopath, so whenever I have a question I call and get her two cents about it. She said it could very possibly be a dairy sensitivity that is causing the fluid buildup, so we've decided we're going to cut out dairy for a month and see if he improves, and if he doesn't we'll seriously consider the tubes.

Yeah. So we're cutting out dairy. Dairy you think - that's not too hard. Just don't drink milk, right??? And we don't drink that much milk, anyways. Yeah. Dairy, in case you didn't know, isn't just milk. It isn't just milk, cheese and yogurt, either. To cut dairy out of your diet, you have to cut out ALL dairy products. Which include, but are not limited to, milk, whey, dried milk solids, lactoalbumin (say WHAT?!?), curds, butter, lactose, potassium caseinate, calcium caseinate, sodium caseinate (seeing a pattern here?), casein, cheese, some margarines, and cream.

Please pray for me!

2 comments:

Perky said...

Did you see Dr. Shah at DuPont???? We used to see him at CHOP until he transferred. I HIGHLY recommend him! He is a great doctor and you can trust him. He did CutiePie's tubes (both times). We were very sad when he left CHOP.

Good luck with whatever happens. I can tell firsthand that tubes are not a big deal. The surgery is very easy and the effect can be HUGE! CutiePie was hearing at about the 25%ile before his first surgery. Tubes have brought his hearing up to about 80% or so, which is a huge improvement!

After both surgeries, he was up and running around later in the day! You'd never have known he'd had surgery in the morning!

Amy Mae said...

Thank you for the reassurance about the surgery! We saw Dr. Barth at DuPont. He was nice enough :)