Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Is it 3pm yet?

I can call the PA Department of Health at 3pm to see if Caroline's test results are back yet! For those of you who don't know, it's been a stressful week. On Wednesday the midwife called to tell me that Caroline tested positive for galactosemia on her newborn screening exam (you know, the heel stick test). We went up to her house to redo the test, and mailed it off on our way home. While we were at her house, someone from CHOP called my cell phone 3 times about getting Caroline in for some blood test about the galactosemia. If you test positive for one of the rare disorders that the newborn screen tests for, the Health Department calls the local treatment center to let them know that a kid who possibly has such & such disease needs to see them. So that afternoon I took Caroline into CHOP and she had some blood test done to see if she actually had galactosemia. Those results should be back today or tomorrow. THEN, I talked to the midwife on Friday and she said that she had talked to the health department again and they said Caroline also tested positive on the screening exam for PKU. So, it sounds more and more like the first test was just a bad sample or something, especially since she's as healthy as can be. But I still want to hear from someone with test results that it was all a test to see how well I handle stress, and she's actually fine. So at 3pm I can call and see. The poor nurse who deals with people on the phone is probably sick and tired of hearing my name - she now answers the phone with "Hi Amy!" lol. So please cross your fingers that I get some answers today!

Update: I got some answers, and they were the answers I wanted! Her second screening test came back 100% normal!

1 comment:

Stacia said...

I had no idea you were going through all that Amy.
What wonderful news that sweet Caroline is as healthy as can be.